Skip to content

Day 1

August 19, 2014

Day 1:

First day, whoo!!!

1:00 – 2:30 AM: 

To start things off, I had no trouble falling asleep at 1:00 AM (go figure, right?), and had a relatively easy time getting up an hour and a half later (immediately sitting up and turning a light on helped a great deal). I’m using the app Sleep As Android to track my sleep cycles based on movement during the night, and it guessed that my sleep cycle ended almost exactly 90 after falling asleep; too early to tell for certain, but 90 minutes seems to be a good length.

Although, I’m not entirely convinced that SAA is completely accurate – I don’t have a great reason to doubt it except that it’s of the opinion that I get an average of 30 min of REM per night, and I’m pretty sure that I get more than that.

During the night, cognitive function was middlingly impaired; mainly recognizable because I had some difficulty with satsfactorlly werding this blog entry. I didn’t feel too exhausted, but I did feel tired. If I just sat on the couch and work on my computer, it wasn’t so bad, but moving around I definitely felt it.

The cat has walked by about 4 times, each time giving me her most piercing “what on earth are you doing awake?”.

8:30 – 10:00 AM:

This nap was refreshing, I certainly needed it after blearily making it through the rest of the night. My parents are moving, so I spent the rest of this block doing non-strenuous chores like sorting and moving boxes around; but after several hours my disposition started to suffer. Nothing unexpected came through, just classic signs of sleep deprivation: tiredness, trouble wording things, over tiredness, really tired.

4:30 – 6:00 PM:

‘Took about ~15 or so minutes to fall asleep here, which is longer than usual; I think the higher temperatures and the light were competing for first place for Most Prohibitive. When my discovered 10 minutes later that I was being serenaded by my alarm, I discovered that I had set it, just, entirely wrong, allowing the app far too much flexibility in when to wake me up (don’t do that, it definitely takes gold for Most Exasperating), so I fixed it and finally got a good 1:25 of Zs in.

When I woke up it felt like a full night had passed and it was the next day, but back in reality, it was only a couple hours later (and suppertime to boot!). I ate supper with my family, but the food bit of the meal didn’t sit quite right. After being awake all night, I got hungry at offset hours (3 AM, 10:30 AM, 3 PM, 9 PM) of the day, which, granted, makes sense, but will take some getting used to.

At the end of the day, I was the most tired of that day, but still with it enough to be generally social and carry on something that resembled a conversation.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: